Life Science Expertise
Unparalleled Experience and Expertise in Real Estate for the Life Science Industry
Since its founding in 1994, Alexandria has supported the life science industry by consistently being at the forefront of life science industry trends.
Dominating Key Cluster Locations Immediately Proximate to World-Renowned Research Institutions
Alexandria was founded on the belief that life science companies are most successful when located in the epicenter of the world's best life science markets, immediately adjacent to world-renowned academic and medical institutions, cutting-edge scientific and managerial talent, and sophisticated capital. From our first acquisition in Torrey Pines, San Diego, to development of a campus in New York City, Alexandria's unique and proven cluster model has been the basis for Alexandria's strategy and has led to the successful development of an asset base in North America of 24.5 million RSF of high-quality real estate in the most collaborative and entrepreneurial life science submarkets, including Cambridge, Mission Bay in San Francisco, Manhattan, and Torrey Pines and University Town Center in San Diego.
As the dominant provider of life science real estate in each of the world's top submarkets, Alexandria anticipated the biopharmaceutical industry's migration from isolated suburban campuses to CBD life science clusters where they can collaborate with neighboring academic institutions and bolster their pipelines.
- "Kendall Square is one of the world's preeminent biotechnology clusters. The proximity to academic researchers, teaching hospitals and other biotech companies fosters the collaboration and exchange of scientific ideas that breeds innovation. We're looking forward to bringing all of our Massachusetts employees back together in this one location, and I believe it will help build the kind of culture and teamwork that is critical to our success as a company."
—George A. Scangos, PhD, Chief Executive Officer of Biogen Inc.
- "Mission Bay is a hotbed of innovation in the U.S. and key to our decision to co-locate our researchers in this life sciences community. We expect this new focus on U.S. research collaboration to enhance Bayer's pipeline which features a successful combination of internal excellence with highly partnered approaches in research and development and commercialization."
—Dr. Andreas Busch, Head of Global Drug Discovery of Bayer's Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals
- "People have found this area to be one of the most exciting places to do this work in the world,''
—Mark Fishman, President of Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research
- "New York City is home to a wealth of world-class biotechnology resources, including academic medical centers that have been on the leading edge of translational research- making it an ideal place to establish partnerships for our Centers for Therapeutic Innovation. Together with these outstanding academic medical centers, we will more effectively delve into the deep science of disease with the goal of developing novel targets that can be applied to meet patients' needs. Success and advancements occur when the best minds are working in unison, and the Alexandria Center's prime location and world-class lab space will serve as the perfect location to house this new partnership."
—Anthony J. Coyle, PhD, VP, Chief Scientific Officer of Pfizer Inc.
Innovative Proprietary Products for the Life Science Industry
In addition to Alexandria's core business of build-to-suit campuses and major office/laboratory spaces for the biopharmaceutical industry, Alexandria has developed a range of innovative products specifically designed for entrepreneurial life science companies and leading venture capitalists:
- A revolutionary corporate and venture-backed vehicle for identifying, evaluating, financing, and managing entrepreneurial and innovative clinical and development life science opportunities
- A unique startup accelerator vehicle focused on discovering and developing emerging agricultural technology companies
- Affordable, plug-and-play, fully integrated real estate platform providing flexible, full-service life science laboratory/office space, shared equipment and services, specialized amenities, and administrative support
- Fully flexible, built-out office/laboratory suites offering a full range of operational and service amenities purposefully designed for high-quality, early and growth-stage life science companies
Alexandria Innovation Center®
- State-of-the-art, highly collaborative facility providing mature science and technology companies with unique services designed to promote productivity and growth
- High-end, flexible office suites for leading venture capitalists in Alexandria’s AAA urban clusters
Fostering Life Science Collaboration within our Real Estate
Design Expertise: At Alexandria, we have conducted extensive research on how design can foster meaningful life science collaboration. Within our properties, we strategically place collision spaces that are designed to spur your employees and the broad life science community to converge, exchange ideas, and advance knowledge.
Thought Leadership: In addition to developing world-class real estate for the life science industry, Alexandria brings together its global network to discuss and debate the most important global life science issues in meetings, conferences, and forums. One of our major efforts is the Alexandria Summit®, a groundbreaking meeting series where thought leaders from the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry, medical, academic, financial, philanthropic, advocacy, and government come together to tackle the most critical global healthcare challenges shaping the future of life science R&D.
Sample Alexandria Summit participants include:
- Tim Anderson, MD, Global Pharmaceuticals Analyst, Sanford C. Bernstein & Co., LLC
- Tony Coles, MD, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Yumanity Therapeutics
- Francis S. Collins, MD, PhD, Director, National Institutes of Health
- Mikael Dolsten, MD, PhD, President, Worldwide Research and Development, Pfizer Inc.
- Jean-Francois Formela, MD, MBA, Partner, Atlas Venture LP
- Margaret Hamburg, MD, Former Commissioner, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Robert J. Hugin, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Celgene Corporation
- John Mendelsohn, MD, Past-President, MD Anderson; Director, the Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan Institute for Personalized Cancer Therapy
- James H. Simons, PhD, Chairman, Simons Foundation
- Marc Tessier-Lavigne, PhD, President, Stanford University
- Craig Thompson, MD, President & Chief Executive Officer, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
» Learn more about the Alexandria Summit