Life Science Expertise
Unparalleled Experience and Expertise in Real Estate for the Life Science Industry
Amanda L. Cashin, PhD, Vice President – Life Science, Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc., discusses Alexandria's life science expertise and the benefits it brings to client tenants and partners.
Since its founding in 1994, Alexandria has supported the life science industry by consistently being at the forefront of life science industry trends.
Dominating Key Cluster Locations Immediately Proximate to World-Renowned Research Institutions
Alexandria was founded on the belief that life science companies are most successful when located in the epicenter of the world's best life science markets, immediately adjacent to world-renowned academic and medical institutions, cutting-edge scientific and managerial talent, and sophisticated capital. From our first acquisition in Torrey Pines, San Diego, to our most recent development in New York City, Alexandria's unique and proven Cluster Model has been the basis for Alexandria's strategy and has led to the successful development of a 15 million square foot portfolio of high-quality real estate in the most collaborative and entrepreneurial life science submarkets in Cambridge, Mission Bay, San Diego, and New York City.
As the dominant provider of life science real estate in each of the world's top submarkets, Alexandria anticipated the biopharmaceutical industry's migration from isolated suburban campuses to CBD life science clusters where they can collaborate with neighboring academic institutions and bolster their pipelines.
- "Kendall Square is one of the world's preeminent biotechnology clusters. The proximity to academic researchers, teaching hospitals and other biotech companies fosters the collaboration and exchange of scientific ideas that breeds innovation. We're looking forward to bringing all of our Massachusetts employees back together in this one location, and I believe it will help build the kind of culture and teamwork that is critical to our success as a company." —George A. Scangos, PhD, Chief Executive Officer of Biogen Idec Inc.
- "Mission Bay is a hotbed of innovation in the U.S. and key to our decision to co-locate our researchers in this life sciences community. We expect this new focus on U.S. research collaboration to enhance Bayer's pipeline which features a successful combination of internal excellence with highly partnered approaches in research and development and commercialization." —Professor Dr. Andreas Busch, Head of Global Drug Discovery of Bayer's Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals
- "People have found this area to be one of the most exciting places to do this work in the world,'' —Mark Fishman, President of Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research
- "New York City is home to a wealth of world-class biotechnology resources, including academic medical centers that have been on the leading edge of translational research- making it an ideal place to establish partnerships for our Centers for Therapeutic Innovation. Together with these outstanding academic medical centers, we will more effectively delve into the deep science of disease with the goal of developing novel targets that can be applied to meet patients' needs. Success and advancements occur when the best minds are working in unison, and the Alexandria Center's prime location and world-class lab space will serve as the perfect location to house this new partnership." —Anthony J. Coyle, PhD, VP, Chief Scientific Officer of Pfizer Inc.
Innovative Proprietary Products for the Life Science Industry
In addition to Alexandria's core business of build-to-suit campuses and major laboratory/office spaces for the biopharmaceutical industry, Alexandria has developed a range of innovative products specifically designed for entrepreneurial life science companies and leading venture capitalists:
Alexandria Innovation Center®
- Laboratory and office suites for mid-stage life science companies with flexible, adaptable, and interconnected laboratory suites that can expand or contract as the scope of research evolves over time
- Laboratory space, office suites, and shared services for first-class early-stage life science companies with shorter lease terms and shared amenities and services
- Laboratory space, office suites, and shared services with critical resources to accelerate the development of a select group of innovative biotechnologies
- High-end office suites and meeting spaces located in Alexandria's flagship facilities with unparalleled access to neighboring innovative companies and world-class research institutions
Fostering Life Science Collaboration within our Real Estate
Design Expertise: At Alexandria, we have conducted extensive research on how design can foster meaningful life science collaboration. Within our properties, we strategically place collision spaces that are designed to spur your employees and the broad life science community to converge, exchange ideas, and advance knowledge.
Thought Leadership: In addition to developing world-class real estate for the life science industry, Alexandria brings together its global network to discuss and debate the most important global life science issues in meetings, conferences, and forums. One of our major efforts in 2011 was the inaugural Alexandria Summit™, a groundbreaking meeting where thought leaders in oncology gathered together to advance the fight against cancer and shift the paradigm for oncology research, development, and patient care.
Participants at the 2012 Alexandria Summit included:
- Francis S. Collins, MD, PhD: Director, National Institutes of Health
- Mikael Dolsten, MD, PhD: President, Worldwide Research and Development, Pfizer Inc.
- Thomas R. Insel, MD: Director, National Institute of Mental Health
- Jan M. Lundberg, PhD: President, Eli Lilly and Company
- Gregory Sorensen, MD: CEO, Seimens Healthcare North America Bruce Stillman, PhD, FRS: President, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Marc Tessier-Lavigne, PhD: President, The Rockefeller University
- Janet Woodcock, MD: Director, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, U.S. FDA