Alexandria sets the standard for sustainability in real estate
Daniel J. Ryan, Executive Vice President – Regional Market Director (San Diego) & Strategic Operations, Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc., speaks to the importance of sustainability and responsibility at Alexandria.
Alexandria's green initiatives, development practices and efficient facilities management drive sustainability and minimize environmental impact.
- Alexandria is committed to obtaining LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for all new ground-up development projects and many of our major core and shell redevelopment projects.
Our efforts to date have resulted in achieving 16 LEED certifications comprising approximately 2.5 million square feet, including:
- 2 LEED Platinum projects (California's first LEED Platinum core and shell recognition and the first LEED Platinum certification for a lab/research building issued by the IGBC in India)
- 7 LEED Gold projects
- 7 LEED Silver projects
- 24 additional Alexandria projects are currently in the process of being designed, constructed or redeveloped to achieve LEED certification standards
- We also consistently aim to improve resource efficiency in existing buildings to minimize operating expenses for tenants, reduce our carbon footprint and green our portfolio. We accomplish this through energy optimization studies and by pursuing, when applicable, energy optimization projects targeted to reduce energy usage and costs, fuel consumption and carbon emissions.
- We are committed to sustainable operating practices, which include recycling, reduced energy use, lighting retrofit programs, green housekeeping practices and transportation programs targeted at reducing traffic.